Welcome to Dharani USA, Inc. (DUSA), a 501(c)(3) organization set up in the USA as a sister organization to The Institute of Geographical Studies (TIGS), Bangalore, India.
“Dharani” is a Sanskrit word meaning “Earth.”
Since 2000, when DUSA was set up, we have been instrumental in raising funding and other resources for the work that TIGS is doing in India to promote non-formal geography education there. Among the activities of TIGS are:
- Interactive geography workshops for K-12 children and teachers through two GeoVidyaa Geography Centers (in Bangalore and Chennai).
- Field-trips for K-12 children and teachers.
- Online non-formal geography lessons for home-schooling and school children.
- International Geography Youth Summits (IGYS) — this is an annual event, the flagship event that brings together children, teachers, parents, older students, and anyone interested in geography together in one place for great interactions.
DUSA has a Board of Trustees who administer, advise, and guide the activities of the organization. More details about each individual will be posted as the redesign of the website progresses.
- Dr Devesh Radhakrishnan, Chemical Engineer, San Francisco.
- Dr Heidi J Nast, Professor, Geographer, DePaul University, Chicago.
- Dr Chandra Shekhar Balachandran, Geographer, TIGS, Bangalore.
DUSA has received support from many individuals over the years and we greatly appreciate it. Thank you!
There are different ways in which you can support our efforts. More details of these will be posted soon as soon as we finish transitioning to a new system and a new Managing Trustee takes over in the coming weeks.