Interns & Volunteers
TIGS offers interesting, innovative, and exciting opportunities for young geographers and would-be geographers to intern or volunteer with us.
Also remember, there is no such thing as a non-geographer! So, interning or volunteering with us will also help you get in touch with your inner geographer!
Location of work: Depending on the backgrounds of the applicants and the tasks they will perform, they may work in Bangalore or telecommute (work online).
Who may apply?
- Students from class 11 and above are welcome to apply.
- Students from anywhere in the world may apply.
- Professional geographers (including geography educators, geo-informatics professionals, and others)
What kinds of skills are we seeking? (This is only an indicative list, it is not exhaustive)
- Physical geography field work.
- Teaching ideas (especially in English, Kannada, Tamizh, and Hindi)
- Videography, audiography, editing.
- GIS, particularly using Q-GIS to prepare specific maps.
- App development skills (all OSs).
- Online interactive development.
- Performance and visual arts. (e.g.: classical dance, classical music, drawing, painting, cartooning, illustrating, etc.)
- Non-formal thinking / lateral thinking.
What exactly will I do?
- After your application is reviewed, if we find a basic match between your background and interests, and our needs, we will schedule an online audio interview on Skype.
- This discussion will help determine what kind of work you may do and where you may do it.
- Depending on the outcome of this discussion, we set about the work.
- This preliminary interview will last about 45 minutes and will be scheduled at a mutually convenient time and date.
How do I apply?
- Send an email with your resume/curriculum vitae to geo [at] tigs [dot] in. (remove the blank spaces, replace [at] with @ and [dot] with .)
- Please use the same form for both interning and for volunteering.
- If you have any questions, please contact us.
What will I receive from TIGS?
- Guidance and support for your work.
- We will issue a certificate upon successful and timely completion of your internship work.
- We will also be glad to provide specific (not generic “to whom it may concern” sort) reference letters upon request. These will be confidential letters sent to the appropriate addresses you want them sent to.
- At this time, we do not pay a stipend or honorarium.
- You will have to bear your own costs.
We look forward to hearing from you.
Please share the link to this page with whomever else you think may be interested.
TIGS is a non-discriminatory organization